Thursday, July 2, 2009

Landis Smithers spoke at Sarah Gavigan's U.C.L.A. class.

Sarah Gavigan's class at U.C.L.A. is fantastic. I can't afford it though! I was turned down for the extension scholarship but I'm not giving up. Yesterday Landis Smithers, a commercial director came and spoke to the class. One thing that stuck out in my mind that he talked about was how when he was looking for work out of college when there was a really bad recession. After not hearing back, he decided to send out his resume in large red envelopes with silver calligraphy written on it. He was soon offered many interviews. I guess the key is to key to think outside the box.
He also discussed the importance of visuals for demos, because when has a stack of hundreds of CD that's the first thing that grabs his attention. Anyways, loved the class but probably won't be able to take it...............

1 comment:

Sarah Gavigan said...

Jeremy - I am so glad that you came to audit the class and I am so sorry to hear that you will not be able to finish the class. BUT stay tuned for the book HOW TO GET YOUR MUSIC LICENSED IN A COMMERCIAL at the end of the year. My new site will be up next week, sarahgavigan.com. All the info about where to get the book will be there - but I will be talking about many of the main issues regarding the topic on my blog. All the best to you Jeremy.
Sarah Gavigan