Tuesday, October 19, 2010

a room at the heartbreak hotel- downtown.

Robert made his way up to the 7th story of an old building downtown. His new room was very small. 300 square feet to be exact. Room 707 was smaller then the room he grew up in, smaller then most of the hotel rooms he experienced on tour. But he didn't mind. He had his futon and computer, and a 5 gallon jug of filtered water. He couldn't have felt happier with anything more.
He opened his laptop and wrote, "I feel as if i'm in a zen monastery. absolute freedom, the sky is the limit for me." Then he closed it and sprawled out on his futon. Gazing at the ceiling, he realized he had enough entertainment in his own mind to last a while. He wouldn't be needing a television. He drifted off into a catnap only to be startled an hour later by the doorbell.
Looking through, his keyhole, he saw the movers had arrived. He opened the door.
"Hey, how's it going? I almost forgot all about my stuff." He grinned and shook the mover's hand, who had a badge that read Rodger. The man shook his hand back but didn't make eye contact. "
"We only got about twelve boxes, it shouldn't take too long," he said.
Rodger began to load boxes into the room with a dolly.
"Need help with that?" Robert kindly asked. Rodger hesitated a second and looked up surprised. He was about to say no thanks but shrugged and affirmatively shook his head.
"Th-that would be nice," he stammered.
Robert went out into the hall and saw his boxes piled one on top of the other. His large television sat separate from the boxes. He was about to stoop down and pick it up. Then a moment of inspiration struck him.
"Rodger, do you need a t.v.?" He asked.
"W-well, we're not supposed to do that," he stammered politely.
Robert winked at him. "I ain't gonna tell noone."
Rodger shrugged again. "My wife would like that, i'll bet."
"It's yours." There was three storage containers with his vintage clothes. "Hey Rodger, you got any kids?"
"Yeah, my youngest, he's graduating from high school."
"Might he like some cool duds?"
"Duds?"
"Clothes."
Rodger looked down at his shoes. He really hit the jackpot this time. "W-well, he might really like that, I reckon."
"I'll help you carry that stuff back to your truck. This-" he pointed at the rest of the boxes. 'I'll get that. Don't worry about it."
"Th-thanks, man." Robert scooped up the 3 boxes of clothes and the t.v. and walked Rodger down to his truck. Rodger did his best to look him in the eye for a couple of seconds. "I really appreciate that. I'm not used to people being so nice to me."
Robert whipped out a twenty dollar bill and gave it to him for a tip. Rodger hesitated.
"I won't tell nobody," said Robert with a wink. Rodger accepted the tip and was on his way.

No comments: