Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sinead O'Connor live at the El Rey . 2/21/12

So, I went to see Sinead O'Connor the other night at the El Rey. It was her second night, and not having gone the night before I would have kicked myself for not going. My lack of funds being what it is I don't go to shows very often lately. But my pal Tony got me a ticket for 20 bucks and I had to go. She doesn't come around that often. Last time I saw her was in Dublin at Vicar Street in October 02. Still thinking back to her version of the old Irish Standards "Paddy's Lament" and "Molly Malone" gives me chills.
There is something about that voice. She is like a relic of purity- a timeless eternal expression of humanity. I feel there is something ageless about her. She will still be punk rock in 20 more years, I'm sure.
I, like many, enjoy hearing many of her standards, "Last days of our Acquaintance," for instance strikes a chord deep within me and always makes me think of that certain person who is no longer in my life. "Three Babies," "Emperor's new clothes," always great to hear those songs, all of which she played. "Stretched at your grave" was especially stirring after a dedication to the late Whitney Houston. But the thing about Sinead is that I never tire hearing the new material. Her new album is as important as "Nevermind" was in '92, which blasted through the tripe of hair metal, giving a home to the angry musings of a lost generation raging against the plastic emotions of a superficial era.
She has not gone away quiet into the night. She is still ripping up the Pope, MTV, and supporters of those institutions. In her song "What is a real VIP?" she protests the current love of bling, questioning the importance of material success, stating that "a face that never was nor will be kissed" is the real VIP, not those modern demigods who can't help their "sisters or brothers." If you read out the lyrics on paper you may be reminded of Bob Dylan's "Gates of Eden" or many other such diatribes against our modern society.
Her song "4th and Vine" is a rocking little number about dressing up for her lover, and going to put eyeliner on, going down to the church to marry her man. It's positive, optimistic, and lusty. A side of Sinead I always like to see. She wrapped up the set with an acapella prayer inspired by Irish Monks and left a cheering crowd wanting more. I don't expect more live shows from her for a while so will have to settle for the new album, which has a lot of great new gems.

No comments: