Tuesday, August 19, 2008

30 year old concert goer (written in 06)

Is 30 old? I mean, maybe to some 18 year old at a concert I look a bit older, but I actually feel more apt to go out and see shows now than when I was 18. I did go to shows, but I also stayed in a lot and read Kerouac and other forms of beatnik literature more often. Probably most the guys who got it all out of their system are ‘over it’ and onto their mortgages and 9 to 5’s. Here I am in my 38th job, and ready to spend half of my paycheck on concerts.
For me, Rock concerts are the most viable and meaningful from of entertainment. I would get bored at sports shows and movies are cool but they aren’t very social. I remember a girl I used to go to high school with thought that it was creepy for older people to go to punk shows. I think it’s great! I think hard fast aggressive music is good for an aging brain! I think scientists should investigate whether rock music aids in preventing alzheimers! Seriously! I bet it does in the same way doing jigsaw puzzles do. It’s Omega 3 for the soul, for god’s sake. I saw an old lady getting down to the Pogues last night. I also saw 2 old ladies walk out on the Pogues the night before that, so it depends, like everything, of course.
I don’t believe I’ll ever stop going to shows. And living in L.A. doesn’t help. On Thursday there were 4 different venues I wanted to go to. I chose a certain Irish band, of course.

No comments: