Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pogues Concert Review written October 06

Friday, October 20, 2006


POGUES CONCERT @ THE WILTERN WAS GREAT

See, God answers prayers sometimes. I got to see Shane Mcgowan and the Pogues live at the Wiltern in Los Angeles on the night of October 19, 2006. I have wanted to see them for about the last decade and a half and never thought I would get the chance. I was supposed to see Shane with the Popes (his other band) in 99 at the house of blues but the show was cancelled. Than when I was in Ireland I would hear about his concerts, but always the day after.
So after work I jogged down La Cienega to Wilshire and hopped on the bus because I didn't want to worry about parking. I got a scalped ticket from some guyfor 23 dollars. I watched most of the opening act, the 88..s, from the nosebleed section where my ticket directed me. But than I realized there was plenty of empty seating smack dab in the center and very front of the balcony, which I felt were the best seats in the house because I could lean over the light fixture and see everything.
There was a lady who introduced herself to me as Anne and danced profusely throughout the set until a security guard repeatedly told her to sit down. I was kind of knelt down over the balcony as if in a pew, wih the most perfect view- not only of Shane and the band, but of Bobbing heads, groups of people with their arms around each other..s necks, chanting loudly with beer held high to the sky. The clash's straight to hell.. was playing as they took the stage. I began to think about the meaning of those lyrics. It sounded to me like it was a story about marines being stuck in Vietnam, fighting in a war they didn't understand, sent there by powerful figures who sent them straight to hell. Just like my dad who had been sent there, not even knowing what he was getting into, thinking that maybe he'd get a trip to Europe and some life experience. It made me realize that I didn't trust anything in this world that we are led to believe protects us, be it the system, the banks, the 9 to 5 existence.
When Shane took the stage and began singing, I had tears in my eyes because I knew what life was worth living for. I can't imagine LONDON LULLABY ever sounding better than it did that night. Life was worth living for the songs you love the most, the ladies who love to dance in the balconies, the life long buddies and punkers who threw their arms in the air enraptured in song. That was what mattered to me. And that is what really matters in all of our hearts- passion- it may not all be the same passion for everybody, but whatever your own passion is, that..s what..s important.
When Jem Finer played Thousands are sailing, it was the only time I was content with Shane not singing. He was the life of he party, knocking over the mike stands with his microphone wire, beating his head with a silver pizza pie looking tin. He sang a lot of the classics. I saw some old ladies enjoy a few songs than decided it was a bit much and they were soon gone. But that is what is so important and interesting about the Pogues. Their music crosses generations. In Ireland I saw an old guy playing ..Dirty Old town.. in a pub once. You see the young dudes and dudettes and a few senior citizens rocking out too.
They played a few from ..if I should fall from grace from God.. including the title track. Their music was so exciting I was afraid I was going to get overly confident and fly off of the balcony. When they did their encore, Shane came out with a woman and did ..Fairy tale in New York,.. a song I..ve done with a lady friend of mine in a Karaoke bar in San Francisco several times. It may have been the most perfect number I have ever seen in a venue ever. It was complete with fake snow, and even pirouettes from Jem Finer as he elegantly strummed his guitar, and ended with Shane and the young lady (Jem's daughter, I think) waltzing off into a glamorous finish.
Thank you Shane Mcgowan, for being you. I saw a picture of you at 19 years old, dancing at the side of the stage at a Clash show. Thank you for inspiring people to be themselves, by simply being yourself. I..m forever in your debt. With Warm regards, JEREMY FERRICK

No comments: